Friday, 22 June 2007

The road to Mongolia, I mean Moravia

So, after leaving Hradec Kralove this morning just after 8am, I arrived in Olomouc at about 11am by bus. The bus ride was satisfactory, a bit bumpy but no incidents. And I bought the ticket from the driver on the bus, IN CZECH. Yes, I have been forced into speaking it a bit now that I am not in the Capital. Also I might have missed some of the art in a museum in Hradec because i didn't know what the woman was saying, but really I've probably seen enough Czech modern art and cubism by now.

I caught a tram to the main train station then bought my train ticket back to Prague for Saturday then caught a bus to my hotel. After the monastery in Hradec the hotel is luxury. A kitchen sink, bar fridge, "dining" table even!

After figuring out what is what in the town per lonely planet and a thankfully pre-purchsed map (freebie aren't so easy to copme by out this way, BYO maps my friends, and phrasebook) I ventured out to see the building where my Grandma grew up just down the road from the hotel. It is quite an imposing building with various faces on the sides. No public access because it is an insurance company but still got a sense of the place. I had no idea it is across the road from the river, so has a nice ambience about it. I could even hear some birds singing in the trees!

Now I find myself hiding from the rain in a supercheap net cafe, just 20kc per hour, yes, less than $1.40 per hour in a room of little gamers. It's a bit weird but who cares?