Well last night would have been the perfect opportunity to try Absinthe (don't worry Mum, I haven't...yet). Why last night? Well the stars were aligned in such a way that the tv program meant a tough choice. At 22.10 there was Chirurgove (Grey's Anatomy) and at 22.15 there was Moulin Rouge.
Grey's is obviously a winner, however dubbed in Czech, not so great, but I have been practising lip-reading with 'The Nanny' which is on every night. Yes, desperate times mean that I am sometimes driven to turning off the sound and lipreading 'The Nanny - but seeing as half of it is "Really Miss Fine" and "Oh, Mr Shef-field" it's not really too difficult. And my those fashions from 1997 are soooooo dated.
So last night it was Grey's in Cz/sound off, and where are they up to? The last ep from last season, when Denny dies on Prom night and it finishes with 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol. Here they didn't play that long clip they played in Oz though. So I'm watching bits of Grey's and interspersing it with Moulin Rouge.
Moulin - the Czech connection
So, I never made the connection before but Moulin is well suited to the Czech market, here's why:
1. Over the top escapism - just what they need.
2. The colour of 'our Nic's' hair - perfect shade of red for the Czech market!!!! (sidenote - if i was ever to go ahead with my lolaesque hair plan this is the place to do it and not raise a single eyebrow)
3. It's obvious really: THE GREEN FAIRY!!! (aka Absinthe).
So, to buy a big bottle of Absinthe is about 240kc (about $19) in a Supermarket.