For some reason I had this going through my head on my way on the train 'the grand old duke of York, he had 10 000 men, he marched them up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again'.
Hmmm, yes insanity. So, I made it to York yesterday afternoon by a late-running train. At Newcastle a girl sat next to me in a total freak-out mode because she jumped on the train without checking it was the right one only to discover it was one before her one but it was going to the right place. She was freaking and asking everyone around her what to, and me being me wouldn't reassure her, I just plugged in my earphones and played ignorant foreigner which I kind of am...
Had no clue how to get to my digs which being outside the city walls are not on city maps... so I got a cab which was just as well... 10 minute walk from town yeah right! Even at my lightning walking pace it's 15 minutes.
Settled in and went walkies to York Minster. Wasn't bowled over at the time but I appreciate it now. Went in to Minster and to the undercroft, a bit bored by the old stuff I must confess though...
Then went on the Norwich Union Yorkshire Wheel which is York's answer to the London Eye. Was kind of fun but not sure it was really worth £6. Still, you don't get much for anything over here.
Missing the clean air and accents of Scotland...
Then back to the accommodation via dinner. Tried to get a table in an Italian restaurant but I could tell the woman didn't like me from the start, then she goes out the back to check if there is a table free and surprisingly no there isn't. Even though I can see a number are free and it is very early... I take a dislike to places to do this, I had it in Holyhead/Wales too - it is so annoying and I even take it as a bit Xenophobic to be brutally honest.
So I had to go to the chip shop up the road which has in the window newspaper articles proclaiming it to sell the best chips in York. They were good but greasy. Wished I didn't have my hand forced like that.
York - there must be more cake shops and cafes here than anywhere. So many cake shops it is crazy. And lolly shops too. So feeling a bit limited and gross from too much fat and sugar consumption.
Off to Norwich tomorrow in search of ghosts or at least to get a feel for the place.