Monday, 2 July 2007

Quick trip back to Moravia.


Praha Holesovice departures board.


Czech out the countryside.

Zelny trh, Brno.


Could this be an ancient mummified relative? Martin Loew died 1773 in Brno...

Now found in crypt of the Capuchin monastery, he was a shopkeeper who died while visiting the monastery. This was possibly the Creepiest Thing Ever, talk about tracking down the dead rellies... did not expect to find this kind of thing.


Moravian museum, temporary exhibition.


As above.


Don't look up, Moravian museum, Brno.

Aquarium theatre, moravian museum.


Me at the aquarium. The place was deserted...


A friendly fellow in Brno.


Check out the vendor's face! I didn't buy anything... it's not like it's ice-cream or anything??


MORAVSKY KRUMLOV - AN EPIC TALE

I had resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to go to Moravsky Krumlov as my main day in Brno was Saturday and the trip was going to take up at least six hours, if I made good connections by the infrequent local buses. So I had figured out a plan of museums etc in Brno to visit. Then... I went to breakfast and heard an aussie couple discussing their breakfasts. I did something I wouldn't normally and started a conversation with them. They were from Perth (strange accent) and had come from Prague and were going travelling in South Moravia (as you don't). They had a hired car and were planning to go to Moravsky Krumlov to see the Slav Epic, having become Mucha fans after visiting the museum in Prague. I explained that I was going to go too but had changed my mind. Breakfast and chit chat continued then ended and I went back to my room.

Then I was figuring out my plan of attack when there was a knock on my door and the Sandgropers (is that right?) asking if I would like to go with them to MK. I agreed then hesitated but figured it would be ok, they seemed pretty normal.

So 15 mins later off we went in the Skoda hire car. Derek was driving and Susan was navigating well until there was a dud turn off but I saw a sign and we got back on the right track.

Stopped by the side of the road to take photos of sunflower fields then on to MK.

Epic? It sure is. 20 huge canvasses, some as large as 8 x 6 metres. Shuffled around upstairs display in slippers provided then walked around downstairs exhibit.

Glad I went, soon it will be moved to Prague so many more people will see it with less trouble. Still, a bit of a thing to see it out in the countryside.

Sunflowers on way to Moravsky Krumlov.

The pilgrimmage to Mucha... I made it to the Slav Epic!!!


Filatelie collection in the Mucha display castle.

Bridal car in Ivancice, Mucha's hometown where we stopped for refreshment on the way back to Brno, it turned out that my companions are both public servants so maybe that explained the vibe. Maybe bureaucrats are more straight up in Perth than in Sydney?

Not the Penrith branch, Mucha's hometown of Ivancice.

You need these guys with the Czech roads as they are. So many crashes, you see them, hear them, see wrecked cars, it is not just a nasty rumour.

Hrad Spilberk, Brno.
View from the Castle.
Castle map.
Real houby, at the castle.

A long way to go to get kitted out.


Kids cakes Brno style, more ponies!


Mendel's place.
Mendel's place, no peas, just hydrangeas.


I have wanted to share this book cover with you for ages.


New meets old in Brno.


Parnassus fountain, Brno.


Breakfast table Sunday morning. Note: Kugelhopf.

Leaving Brno.


Shop was shut, but look it's possible, meat free in Czech.


Not my train, thankfully.


Hurray for Deutsche Bahn!

The rails to Prague.