Friday, 3 August 2007

Bound for Botany Bay territory

I came to Portsmouth as part of my homage as it was the last place in England that many ancestors saw. I was a bit disappointed by the historic dockyard and now know more about Horatio Nelson than I probably need to, including seeing locks of his hair, things he handwrote, masses of memorabilia etc etc etc...

Again, the emphasis wasn't quite there for me but, oh well... also didn't really need to hear all the armoury specs for British warships on the boat tour/cruise of the harbour.

I wasn't really into the whole thing, not helped by the intermittent rain this morning. Then, on a whim I decided to pay the £6.50 and go up the Spinnaker Tower. And then it kind of sunk in, seeing the place from above sort of put things into perspective so to speak - seeing the Isle of Wight from up there and getting a feeling for the whole history of the place.

And now, tomorrow I'll go back to London for my final few days and try to fit in a day trip to Essex for a quick run around my other First Fleeters' stomping grounds and those of another ancestor who came to Oz later on. A bit hyperactive about the trip home, to say the least.