Hot morning c 26 degrees. Into town, lunch with Jan: I had fried camembert (whole round) with boiled potatoes and pineapple in the cheese and salad on side, Jan had chicken with chips and salad, and we each had a glass of Staropramen (Prague beer, not as good as Pilsener). The cheese was actually pretty good, seriously. Discussion of politics, heads of State, Republics, the Queen, natinal identity. Then back to city hall. Beautiful building. Into Jan's boss' office, he offers me drink, I have apple juice, other workers finishing lunch there. They are talking czech mostly, occasionally english to me, his boss asks if I am shy, and Jan says, it's in the family, I am shy - and they all laugh. Fairly jovial feeling to the place, and quite relaxed. Then we drink some port wine, then depart.
So now I have crossed the Charles bridge and wandered and now I will try and find the Kafka museum.
Weekend plans slightly changed, Saturday going to music festival in the grounds of a hospital in Prague 8 to hear Czech folk music. Sunday going by train south of Prague to see a castle with J and M.
Also, M's parents have a holiday house in nth bohemia near Jablonec (where they manufacture beads - actually where I really wanted to go to!) and J says we can go there one weekend, so I am a very happy camper/beader with all this activity going on and local guides to help me out. Feeling very lucky indeed.