Thursday, 14 June 2007

Channelling the culture vulture within

Well, about time you might say, after weeks (!) of pounding the streets of Prague faced with a myriad of options from Pachelbel Canon at St George's basilica in the Castle, to Mozart en masse, to Dvorak to black light theatre (in many forms), to marionettes to "Golem - the Musical", I have bought a ticket to see Don Giovanni tonight at the Estates Theatre in the Old Town. It is possible to see versions of this opera in different forms from marionettes to live shows. Why this choice? This is the theatre where Don Giovanni was premiered so it is a lot more special. So box seat ticket in hand that is where I will be tonight.

Walking through the streets of Prague it is easy to get a sense of culture and cultural traditions. It is not uncommon to see musicians wielding all manner of large, bulky instruments around the cobblestoned pavements of Stare Mesto. Instrument shops are here too. I haven't bought the red trumpet I saw. In fact there is a whole brass section in a rainbow of colours available for purchase, at the usual pricey prices of such things.

Theatre is alive here too. There is an upcoming Shakespeare festival (in Czech) although Jan tells me there are many small studio type perfomances here.

And for those with more "contemporary" preferences the Rolling Stones are playing Brno in July, Genesis is doing Prague in a week and what happened to that George Michael show I was considering buying a ticket for? Cancelled due to a problem with one of his trucks.

And if you don't like live performances, how about an exhibition or a museum. Plenty of offerings from cultural, to art, to decorative, to architecture, and at the moment in the Lucerna Arcade - "BODIES" - see http://www.bodiesprague.cz/ - no prizes for guessing that I am giving that one a big miss.