A few notes to begin. As I was walking down Wenceslas Square today Mambo No 5 was playing and it reminded me of last time I was in the East, in Erfurt it was all the rage...
Lads
Yes it is really true. I had heard the rumours but once you are here (especially on the tourist beat of the old town) the packs of British lads on bucks weekends are so annoying, loud and obvious. It is gross. In fact I walked past a group on the way to this net cafe. Every so often roars of laughter or clapping echo down the alleyway. Eyes rolling. Arrrgh!
Post Office
Wow. The main post office in Prague is amazingly fast. The Sydney GPO should take some lessons. You might know that in Sydney you can wait ages in the GPO while the staff talk to each other and generally pretend to not be there. In Prague you take a ticket, wait watching the boards and stay on your toes because with 25 counters they zip through the customers.
CD burn confusion
I had a bit of a freak out on Monday after I had around 630 photos burned to CD from my memory card. I plugged my camera into a net cafe computer to upload some pics and all the opnes I had burned had been deleted. Thankfully the net cafe guy had done it properly so all were backed up but for a while there I was totally freaked, then a bit relieved because it meant I didn't have to delete them one by one from the camera, so a good thing actually.
Go East, life is Moravian there...
Well, I have nearly checked all the boxes on my Prague to-do list, just a few museums to see so I will hopefully be leaving the Capital and exploring some more of the countryside in the next couple of days. After much thought I might actually just stick to Czech. I was going to go to Vienna/Salzburg and possibly Munich but seeing as I have been there (albeit 10 years ago) before I think I can probably manage without them.
So, the idea is: Hradec Kralove (paternal birthplace), Olomouc (grandmother's birthplace), Brno (grandfather's birthplace), possibly a short sojourn to northern Austria (ancestral places), Moravsky Krumlov (day trip from Brno) to see Alfons Mucha's masterpiece "The Slav Epic", then possibly back to Bohemia to Cesky Krumlov, Plzen and return to Prague in about a week and a half.