Thursday, 5 July 2007

Early days in the west.

mmm peaches and cream pie in London, you didn't think I was going on a health food diet???


Justice on the Old Bailey

The Old Bailey
Me at the Old Bailey.


Still amused by street signage. I will not apologise for this long-running obsession with taking photos of street signs, noticed the different fonts on London signage, especially the use of lower case. Is that the editor, pedant or general nark talking? Someone will appreciate the observation - Dale? Wilda?


Sweet smelling flowers.



Easy way to try different cheeses. Also had a Wallace and Grommit moment with
Wensleydale on a 'sanger'.



When I first got to Germany I was almost overwhelmed with relief at the familiarity and I guess I became aware just how different it was in Czech. It's funny because I got quite used to it all. And then I was suddenly in Frankfurt and I had all these Czech words in my head and I was really pushing it to tremember the german basics like 'entschuldigung' and 'danke', all I could come up with was 'Prosim'. It was a bit mentally straining to be honest. Oh well... and now it's all English for me. And to be honest I'm kind of bored with it already. It's like there isn't really a challenge when the language is fine and the culture is pretty sraight up too. I don't feel like I'm overseas at all really, also beacause Prague was so full of old buildings that I'm in that mindset too.

I felt like this in SF a bit too, like it wasn't really a challenge. But I am having a bit of culture shock, I must admit. Howso? Well the first part is food. Like being able to get normal, healthy, good, fresh, meat-free food. It really hit me looking at, ok this will sound so lame, but it's true, the sanwiches in marks and spencer. It was just overwhelming to even see vegie sandwiches, let alone choices. That is so lame, but really it was not something I could just go out and get in Czech. Oh well. Hopefully tomorrow I will go and have bit more of an exploration.


This afternoon I had a moment by the Old Bailey thinking about the things that happened and all the lives impacted on and these institutions, are they more than just buildings when your destiny is shaped by what happened there, a long time ago (or recently)?