Sunday, 8 July 2007

Wales

Welsh flowers.
What would you expect they sell here?


It's a hairdresser, go figure.


Salt and Pepper mushrooms. It's a little bit floury but quite nice, yes, I like this one. (bad iron chef judgment impersonation)


Rice.

Blackbean tofu.


The sea from outside the guesthouse.


Bridal shoe sale in Holyhead.


The room in Holyhead.


The new bridge in Holyhead - the way from the train/ferry into 'town'.

Road to Wales

On Thursday I caught the train from London Euston to Holyhead on the Isle of Anglesey, Wales for my ferry trip to Dublin.

The train ride was fine except for limited luggage space.

I was amazed by the beauty of the welsh countryside. Lots of Tom Jones' green green grass of home type lanscapes and sheep, cattle and horses.

And than the sea! It was great to see the sea after only rivers for the last six weeks.

As soon as I got to Holyhead I was thinking I should have just gone straight through to Dublin but I already had my accommodation booked so I was stuck with it. The hike through the main street of holyhead to the guest house with all my luggage didn't really help either.

I made it to the guesthouse and up lots of stairs... forked out extra for my own bathroom.

I got settled in etc and went exploring the town.

Thought I should eat something but the first 2 places I tried said they were booked out. I'm not sure that was actyally true... I was obviously an out-of-towner and had trouble communicating with them what with my funny accent and all, but I finally secured a table at a Chinese restaurant near the harbour. What drew me in was the mention of... salt and pepper mushroom on the entree menu.

For the connosieurs of salt and pepper vegies you ( Steve, Lara) will know the comfort such a menu-item brought me. Seated I ordered tea (English or Chinese? I chose Chinese which was actually green tea). I had salt and pepper mushrooms, beancurd with blackbean sauce (hadn't had that variation before) and boiled rice. It cost me £12 but really I didn't have much choice and it was decnt enough. Also, seeing as I hadn't had rice for 6 weeks it was great for that reason alone.

Fought off the rain and went back to guesthouse.

Preparation for trip ahead.