Sunday, 9 March 2008

A morbid fascination with death

Although as someone who goes around looking for graves in their spare time and collects death certificates you might say I have a somewhat unhealthy fascination with death it was a visit to the Art Gallery of New South Wales today (http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/) that has prompted me to write.


The Archibald Prize (http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/) opened to the public yesterday and it seemed like an opportune moment to collect a minor prize that I had won recently through the gallery society. There is always one painting that is impossible to get close to for the swarming crowds. Usually it is the winner. This year, while the winner seemed to be a popular painting to view, the portrait of recently deceased actor Heath Ledger was close to impossible to get near. While I felt compelled to give it a look in, not least for the actual artistic merit of the picture, my companion was repelled and reluctant to have a closer look.